The next Salt Creek Watershed Group meeting will be held on March 9, 2011 from 3:00-5:00pm at the Valparaiso Public Library located at 103 Jefferson Street in Meeting Room A. A tentative agenda is attached. Agenda items include:
- Save the Dunes will discuss detention basin retrofits planned for 2011
- JFNew will give a presentation on the City of Valparaiso’s Payment for Ecosystem Services project, which will involve an auction system to encourage private landowners to install stormwater BMPs on their property.
- Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant Program will discuss their GLRI project “Healthy Landscapes/Healthy Lakes” to reduce phosphorous input into Lake Michigan. The group will discuss potential areas in the Salt Creek Watershed to pilot the project.
- Save the Dunes will distribute copies of the new Salt Creek Watershed brochure, which details projects completed to date.
- Weather permitting, the group will walk to tour a nearby pervious concrete demonstration at 4:15 pm.
Other upcoming events:
- Porter County Builder’s Association Annual Home and Garden Expo, March 10-13 at the Porter County Expo Center, Valparaiso, IN.
Don’t miss Jennifer Birchfield’s presentation “When It Rains, You Store” on rain barrels and rain gardens March 11th at 1:00 pm.
- Free forum: How Healthy is Indiana’s Water? A focus on how nutrients affect water quality. March 15th, 6-9pm at NIRPC. Don’t miss Jennifer Birchfield’s presentation on sustainable yardcare practices.
- Save the date of April 1, 2011. Save the Dunes and partners will hold a workshop on identifying stormwater BMPs for local university campuses. Details to follow. Contact Jennifer at Save the Dunes for more information (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We hope to see you there!
Jennifer (Nebe) Birchfield
Save the Dunes
444 Barker Road
Michigan City, IN 46360