The Shirley Heinze Land Trust owns and manages over 1,200 acres of natural areas in Northwest Indiana. Our Stewardship Program is seeking a dependable, capable individual to fill a part-time, seasonal (3-month term) Stewardship Technician position (maximum 30 hours per week). Pay is $11/hour. Must provide own transportation to nature preserves throughout northern Lake, Porter and LaPorte Counties. Work during the term will be focused in the Michigan City and Hobart, Indiana areas.
- Must be able to lift and carry 50 pounds.
- Must have knowledge of local native flora or possess basic plant identification skills.
- Experience in safely operating and maintaining hand and power tools such as chainsaws, brush cutters, leaf blowers, and all-terrain vehicles.
- Education/experience in ecological restoration and natural areas management.
- Control woody vegetation (cut trees and shrubs with chainsaws and brush cutters, stack logs, chip or pile and burn slash).
- Identify and remove autumn olive, Scotch pine and other non-native woody species.
- Apply herbicide to cut stumps.
- Hand-broadcast seed mixes.
- Assist with preparing and conducting controlled burns, as weather allows.
- Other duties as assigned.
Work hours are generally 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM, four days a week (weekdays with occasional Saturdays).
Send cover letter, resume and contact info for two references to: